Friday, March 11, 2011

Wedding Post Challenge

I stole this from Chloe... I don't know if I have ever written down our meeting/dating/engaged/wedding stories so here I go!
1. How it all began: How you met, first date, first kiss, how long did you date? First picture together.....etc.

Deveren and I met on Friday, July 7, 2005. He was in town for a mission companion's wedding (Billy Stronks). I was living with my good friends Amy and Chloe in Provo. Amy's good friend Chris Carlson (I will call him Carlson because that's what I call him) had a mission buddy in town and they had talked about setting me and the the mission buddy up. Amy told me his name was Devron (rhymes with Chevron), and that he was blond.
Well the date never happened for some reason. Dev told me later that they went to go pick up some girls to make out with. They couldn't find any though, so they came over to our apartment :) One of their other mission buddies that was visiting from Salt Lake came over with his fiance and the guys all spoke Spanish to each other for 4 hours. Super fun, right?

Dev told me later that he had a conversation with Carlson in Spanish about me and that he should ask me out. Carlson said I wasn't his type and that Dev should make a move... 

Finally the Salt Lake buddy left so Carlson and Devron decided to stay and watch a movie with us. The rest of the evening was kind of a blur... Maybe because I chose to block it out, maybe not. You will never know. 
According to Dev we sat next to each other, cuddled, held hands, and kissed... I do not recall the kissing part :) Ok maybe I do, Don't judge me.
Carlson and Dev stayed til wee hours of the morning. Dev asked for my number so I gave it to him. I didn't think he was going to call because he was from out of town, and I probably would never see him again.
He called the next day.

Our first date was to the Pizza Factory. The server had to come back 4 times to take our order because we kept talking and not looking at the menu. We were there for hours just talking. I remember his Mom calling him and I kept thinking how cute it was that he talks to his Mom.
Then we went and saw Kicking and Screaming with Will Ferrell. 

These pictures were from our first date. Yes for some reason we took pictures. Weird I know.


I don't really know how to answer the last question. How long did we date? Our first date was the 8th of July. He went back home the next day. We talked on the phone and text each other for 2 weeks. Does that count as dating? After those 2 weeks, my family went to Mexico... My family goes there every summer. When we landed, my first thought was 'How am I going to talk to Deveren'?

I bought a calling card.

While we were there I wouldn't stop talking about him to my family.  About the middle of our trip my Aunt asked me if I thought there was a future with this guy... I said 'Yeah I think so'. 
Remember, none of my family had met him yet. After a little while of talking to my mom, my Aunt said, 'If there is a future with this guy we need to get to know him. What better place than Mexico?! Call him and see if he can get work off to come out here.'

2 days later we were at the airport waiting for his plane! I was nervous. And scared. What if I didn't recognize him? I had only seen him once. Right as he walked past the shark tank all of the nerves and anxiety went away completely. I knew RIGHT away it was him and felt dumb for questioning myself. Our second date was in Mexico. 

That place means a lot to me. A lot happened there. We told each other we loved each other, and had many conversations that included 'hypothetically speaking, if we were to get married' talk. Not to mention, seeing a couple having sex on the beach! Man what a memory.


 5 days later we each went back home and talked on the phone constantly for 1 1/2 weeks.

The following weekend he drove out here with a buddy to ask my dad's permission to marry me.

The next week I drove out with my sister to his house to meet his family. That's where he proposed. Stay tuned. 








4 comments:

Kayla said...

Yay! I'm so glad Chloe did this, because now everyone is doing it and I love hearing stuff like this! haha, what a cute story! I love that you said don't judge me! haha, no one is I promise! you guys are so cute!

chloé said...

yay!!! i loved hearing all about this! (Even though i knew most of it already.. hehe) such good times we had Ki! you guys are perfect for each other! i hope all is well with you and your cute little family! i love your new hair by the way! can't wait to read more!!! :)

Vallen Family said...

I remember when all of this was happening!! Crazy how when it's right things just fall into place so easily. :)

Amy said...

Ah the memories!! I loved hearing this!! I'm so happy you guys met! I love you both to death!! XOXOXOX