Wednesday, March 16, 2011

W.P.C. #3

Wedding Post Challenge

3. Proposal: How it happened, how long were you engaged for? was it a total surprise?  pictures of that... etc..

This is a VERY long story so i'll try to keep it as short as possible.
I had driven out to California with my older sister, Brielle, to meet Deveren's family. He said he wanted to show me around his hometown and take me to see some of the sights... And he wanted to introduce me to some close friends. 

First stop was his oldest Brother, Sam, and sister-in-law's house. I was actually going to stay there so we dropped my stuff off and went to eat at a Chinese restaurant. Deveren pulled out a video camera and started recording... He told me that his 2 older sisters really wanted him to make a video of me (they both live in Arizona) so he was going to record bits and pieces of our weekend and send it to them. (THIS WAS A LIE. HE WANTED IT THE PROPOSAL ON VIDEO CAMERA)
So we ate, had a lot of fun and Sam brought out a long stem rose that was made out of copper and handed it to me. He said he made it for me (which I thought was kind of weird but VERY nice.)


After lunch we went to Deveren's parents' house to hang out.
I was given another rose just like the first one.
He took me to see his childhood best friend, Jonny. We talked for a while and right as we were leaving, he told me how great it was meeting me and pulled out a copper rose that he had made. I had no idea what was going on still.
He took me to his high school. He wanted to show me the sun dial that his high school put it in the front of his school. As we walked up to it, I saw that there was a rose laying on it. 
Then we walked over to the football field where he played football and there was another rose laying on the bleachers. 
Next stop, Brad and Katie's. Katie is Deveren's best friend from high school. Brad brought out a rose that he had made me too! At this point I was thinking, 'that is so crazy that EVERYONE here knows how to weld and makes these cool roses!' 
I was starting to think that something was up...
We went to Deveren's old boss' house and talked with him and his wife. He gave me a rose too. :)
One night we met my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin for dinner and my Aunt Paralee so generously gave me a lovely copper rose that ironically she had made!

 I feel really horrible that I can't remember where I got 2 of the roses... 


We went to eat at Buca de Beppo for dinner one night with Dev's parents, little brother and little sister. His mom gave me a diamond necklace and a copper rose!


As the number of roses increased, I started thinking that he would propose by giving me 1 dozen of these amazing roses... I had just received rose #11 so I started getting nervous!
After we left the restaurant, Dev and I were in the car and he was asking me about the roses. As we hit a stop light, our conversation went something like this:


Dev: 'So babe, how many roses do you have now?'
Me: '11... All I need is 1 more' :)
Dev: (Proceeded to get out of the car and reach under his seat. He pulled out rose #12 and got back in the car.) 'Here ya go. I just wanted you to have a dozen roses that you could keep forever.'



SOOOOO Sweet, right?
I got super nervous all of the sudden and just sat there waiting for something amazing to happen (like a proposal maybe)


NOTHING.
Nothing happened.
He just drove. In silence.


I was not very happy.


That night Deveren wanted to take me up to a look out spot to show me the lights of Sacramento. So we drove and drove and drove. We ended up getting lost. 
After a little while we got back on track. Deveren decided to make me put a blanket over my head so it would be a surprise when we got to the top. Now remember, I wasn't too happy with him from previous events (or lack thereof) and now I have to put a blanket on my head? 
Sweet.
So I did. We got to the top and he helped me out of the car... Then told me to sit down and wait for him. 
I kept hearing him walk around me and then randomly say 'Dang it!' 


Now I started putting things together.... and I got REALLY nervous.


He told me to stand up and take the blanket off. 
I opened my eyes and there was my honey standing in front of me, with the BEAUTIFUL lights of Sacramento behind him, holding a copper rose like the ones a had been getting the past few days. But this one was bigger.
There was a little rolled up note stuck inside the top. I pulled it out and it said:

SHE LOVES ME, SHE LOVES ME NOT, SHE LOVES ME.


Dev: Do you know what a baker's dozen is?
Me: No.
Dev: It's 13 roses.


He got down on one knee.
He proceeded to pull down the petals of the rose, and as he did he would tell me something he loved about me. I could tell he was really nervous because he couldn't think of things to say so he just started pulling the pedals down as fast as he could! 
He told me how much he loved me and then popped the question!


I said yes of course.

(Our first fight was about not getting a real ring because he didn't have any money, and I didn't want him to go into debt over a ring, so I was expecting a fake one from Walmart... I could have cared less)


Inside the rose there was a ring holder.






And a ring. He got me one of the wedding bands I wanted!!!
(His mom did some trade for a jewelry company so he got an amazing discount... No debt!)
 
I couldn't find a picture of just my band, but this is my ring now.
 
He proposed with one of the bands and gave me the other one for an anniversary :) Best hubby ever!
 
 

My Aunt actually gave him my main diamond :) We have the best families!

4 comments:

Vallen Family said...

I LOVE this story it's so cute and perfect!
And I can totally hear you saying "I wasn't happy with him from previous event's (or lack thereof) and now I have to put a blanket on my head?
Sweet."
Hahah, we miss you guys!

Kayla said...

This story is really cute!! your hubby is a sly one. haha! love your rings!! I'm glad you are doing the wedding post challenge too, I love reading others stories!

chloé said...

i have always thought you guys had one of the cutest proposals! you guys are so cute! i love your ring too! it is gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

You would think being Deveren's sister I would know this story but I have never heard it, not one bit! I love it though and am proud to call him my brother.

Thanks for posting it

Mandi